In some people, cabbage consumption can cause gases. But this leafy vegetable has many benefits for the health. Discover the benefits of cabbage and how to use it to prevent many ailments!
According to numerous scientific studies, cabbage may protect the body from various health problems like heart disease and diabetes.
The health benefits of cabbage
Cabbage is rich in water, vitamins (B, C, D and E), phosphorus, potassium, calcium and magnesium. It can prevent many health problems, but also cabbage helps in treating certain diseases. For example, this vegetable contains flavonoids that help heal indigestion, but it is also effective to treatment of wounds.
- Cabbage is a natural pain reliever
You can use cabbage leaves to relieve inflammation. According to a study by scientists from the University of Missouri, there is a link between inflammation and apigenin. The latter is a flavonoid present in the cabbage which has anti-inflammatory properties. To calm the pain, use cabbage leaves!
How to use cabbage leaves?
- Wash several cabbage leaves and let them dry.
- Then place the cabbage leaves on the painful area.
- Attach the leaves on the affected area with a bandage and keep them overnight.
Use this remedy regularly to relieve pain. You can use all kinds of cabbage. However, according to experts, red cabbage leaves are the most effective to reduce pain.
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
Red cabbage contains a water soluble pigment known as anthocyanin, and is capable of reducing inflammation. Cabbage is also rich in polyphenols, a compound effective to stabilize blood pressure and also helpful for the cardiovascular health.
These tips help to prevent cardiovascular disease:
- Keep raw cabbage in the refrigerator to preserve all the nutrients.
- Instead of lettuce, prefer coleslaw.
- Eat at least 2 tablespoons of cooked cabbage daily.
- Drink 1 cup of raw cabbage juice daily (mix few cabbage leaves with water in a blending machine).
- Improves digestive health
To boost your digestive health, consume fermented cabbage, because it contains probiotics that boost the absorption of vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, the enzymes and other compounds in fermented cabbage improve the functioning of the digestive system.
Here’s how to use cabbage to counter the stomach and digestion problems:
- Treatment of constipation is one of the benefits of cabbage. Eat it raw!
- Stomach ulcers can be treated by consuming a cabbage extract supplements.
- To overcome diarrhea, consume green or white cabbage juice between meals.
- Prevents and controls type 2 diabetes
According to the American Diabetes Association, cabbage can slow the absorption of sugar in people with type 2 diabetes or at risk of developing diabetes. Really, cabbage contains fibers which are able to absorb the excess glucose in the blood.
Here’s how to prevent and control diabetes with cabbage:
- Eat cabbage as a side dish at least 3 times a week.
- Drink cabbage juice 2 times a day.
- Eat boiled cabbage and add a few drops of lemon juice to add flavor.
- Accelerates healing
Cabbage accelerates regeneration and healing of the skin due to its high content of antioxidants and vitamin U helps to heal mucous membranes.
How it works?
– Take some cabbage leaves, wash them and dry them. Next, place them on parchment paper and heat them in the microwave oven for 1 minute.
– Apply the cabbage leaves on the body part in question and secure with tape. Change the sheets every 4 or 5 hours, or leave on overnight.
- Cures an ingrown toenail or other types of wounds
Wounds and ingrown toenails are skin problems that can be treated with the cabbage leaves.
How it works?
- Fix some cabbage leaves on the affected area with gauze and leave overnight.
- Repeat this every day, until disappearance of your skin problem.
Cabbage leaves are amazing because they can be used against many health problems. You can use the leaves alone or by mixing them with other natural products.
For example, to prepare a topical remedy against eczema, mix cabbage leaves, watercress, dried blueberries and chamomile tea. Apply this mixture regularly until disappearance of eczema.