It is believed that home is safe and there are no dangers at all. Unfortunately, that’s not really the case, as most of the products used in the home are dangerous: they contain harmful chemicals to your health, sometimes causing cancer!
Today, despite all the means and products available, the houses are not so pure and healthy. Some deodorants, detergents, candles, shampoos and other cleaning and maintenance products make our homes become carcinogens nests!
These 5 products that each of us uses without hesitation are very harmful and can lead to many health problems. It is therefore important to learn how to detect those and avoid using them in order to purify your environment and protect your family.
Most deodorants contain volatile organic compounds, carcinogens and toxins like phthalates. According to a study conducted by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), on 13 common deodorants, it was revealed that most of them contain chemicals that can aggravate asthma and cause reproductive problems.
Anne C. Steinemann, a professor at Washington University, conducted a study in 2008 showing that all the air fresheners give off noxious and toxic chemicals and carcinogens.
Conventional shampoos contain an excessive amount of chemicals including toxic substances such as sodium lauryl sulfate, lauryl sulfate or ammonium laureth sulfate that dry the skin to remove its natural protective barrier. Furthermore, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), some shampoos contain a compound called cocamide that would be potentially carcinogenic. Therefore, it is much safer to use homemade shampoos prepared with natural ingredients that you can find in health food stores.
- Art supplies and DIY
Polyepoxide (a resin also known under the name epoxy), glue, solvents and permanent markers often contain carcinogenic compounds and endocrine disruptors. Similarly, widely used in DIY, paint contains pigments, resins and solvents. These can cause neurotoxicity, hepatorenal toxicity and dermatitis.
- Maintenance and cleaning products
The cleaning and maintenance products such as degreasers, stain removers for laundry, carpet cleaners, cleaners for toilets and bathrooms, some soaps and disinfectants, among others, contain toxic and potentially carcinogenic chemicals.
Most cleaning products contain these substances:
- 2-butoxyethanol is involved in certain blood disorders and irritates the eyes and skin. In Canada, 2-butoxyethanol is considered a noxious substance, highly toxic to humans.
- Ammonia is a substance that can cause liver and kidney problems, irritate the lungs, skin and eyes. People with asthma are also very vulnerable to the adverse effects of ammonia.
- Triclosan is widely used in soaps and hand sanitizers. This is a toxic chemical that can disrupt the endocrine system (hormones), irritate the skin, eyes and alter the system of aquatic environments.
- Candles and incense
Avoid scented candles and artificial incense because they contain volatile toxic compounds such as:
- Benzene, a potentially carcinogenic hydrocarbon that irritates the airways and may be involved in the development of blood cancer.
- Formaldehyde is a chemical compound found in incense sticks, which can cause respiratory irritation. Moreover, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has classified this compound as a carcinogen.
To avoid these carcinogenic and harmful products, prefer natural beeswax candles and natural incense sticks.