If you have been diagnosed with “asthma” or “allergy”, you should know these things to ensure your maximum comfort. In every home there are things that can complicate your condition. Pay attention to:
Do not neglect this room in the overall inspection of your home.
Check for any leakage from the roof where moisture could seep into the interior walls and cause mold. The problem may be due to individual tiles that are misaligned, or insulation that has distorted by strong winds.
Create the necessary ventilation to get rid of condensation. Check that the insulation does not prevent the eaves in some way. See if there are rodents or discover only their droppings. They also cause allergies.
- Local heating and air conditioning
Surely you have a heating system, as few have centralized installation, and most use separate devices. Take care that they are in working order and clean them frequently.
The space behind the radiators for central heating always attracts spiders and their creations keep dust, dead insects and fine particles that easily attract mold spores and other allergens. The ribs in the back of the modern radiators are particularly difficult to clean, and there is accumulated dust and dead insects. It is possible to remove some of the dirt with a special nozzle of the vacuum cleaner or to invent something suitable, such as pieces of cloth wound around the hanger.
Keep the thermostat of 65 ° F or higher in the winter because the heat prevents the formation of molds. If you stop heating at night, the air becomes humid and there will be better conditions for their development. In addition it will probably be that your idea of savings is not very relevant as the system work harder to heat the whole house.
If the home you have has a central air conditioning, carry out regular cleaning and inspection for roadworthiness by a specialist. Similar systems are ideal for the development of fungi and molds.
If you decide to buy a portable air conditioners, make sure you select the correct model for the room you want to cool. If it is too large, your home will be wet (and there will be conditions for mold growth) rather than cool and fresh. Ask the sellers about the cooling capacity of the various models.
Read the manual of the portable air conditioner and use it as directed by thoroughly cleaning it from dust.
Finally, make sure the area around your home is not a place where allergens lurk. Below are a few tips in this regard. Check the foundation of the house for mold, decaying wood, wet stains and cracks in the foundation.
Clean the gutters in order to avoid sub-loop of water on the walls, which leads to formation of molds
In each room…
- Use a strong flashlight and mirror to look around the spaces under the furniture and corners of the cabinets.
- Wipe with a damp cloth around the holes for ventilation, air conditioning and heating.
- Get rid of perfumes and air fresheners that can worsen the asthma symptoms.
If your home has undesirable odor, place bowls of vinegar at discrete locations; open the windows when there is no wind; or place in a bowl a cotton swab soaked with vanilla extract to avoid the problem.
- Check the indoor plants – if you put too much water you’ll probably induce the growth of mold. Often the water seeps from on the carpet and also creates perfect conditions for these organisms. Put pebbles or gravel at the top of the soil to prevent the easy spreading of spores in the air.
- Consider changing the rugs or carpets with hard flooring such as laminate, vinyl or wood flooring.
- Seriously consider disposing the curtains and drapes and buy blinds that can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.