Having some parts of the body darker than others is a quite normal phenomenon. However, it is unsightly and sometimes complexing. Here’s a complete guide with tips to lighten dark skin on the neck, armpits, elbows and knees.
There are three main reasons behind this dark skin phenomenon. A skin pigmentation problem called acanthosis nigricans, a disease caused by obesity, diabetes or drugs. The other two reasons are sun exposure and aging.
Furthermore, the skin of the elbows and knees is thicker since these areas are subjected to repeated rubbing. This body part also has a dry skin that does not secrete its natural oils. Do not hesitate to hydrate these body parts to prevent them become darker. As for the armpits, this is mainly due to excessive shaving, or using an inappropriate antiperspirant or depilatory creams.
This guide offers tips on how to get rid of dark skin effectively and permanently.
Tips for removing dark skin in the neck
Aloe Vera is a natural skin lightening plant. This plant is rich in amino acids, minerals and vitamins that deeply moisturize the skin and preserve its elasticity. It also clears the complexion and prevents the appearance of brown spots. Aloe Vera also has anti-cancer properties due to its richness in antioxidants, and promotes cell regeneration.
How to use this remedy:
• Extract the aloe vera gel from the leaves;
• Massage your neck lightly with the gel, let it stand for 20 minutes;
• Rinse with clean water;
• Apply this trick several times a week until you notice results.
Baking soda is a very effective bleaching agent. It cleanses the skin and eliminates the dark parts. Apply this trick only once or twice a week.
• Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a glass of water until you get a thick paste;
• Apply this paste on your neck;
• Rinse after 2 or 3 minutes.
Potatoes contain an enzyme called catechol oxidase which plays an important role in skin lightening. Here’s how you can use it:
Put some potato juice to the dark skin on your neck. Let it stand for 15 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
You can also add lemon juice to the potato juice. Let it stand for 15 minutes and rinse with cold water. However, use this trick only once or twice a week and avoid exposure to sunlight because the lemon is photo-sensitizer.
Tips for dark skin on elbows and knees
Lemon is a disinfectant, antibacterial and highly effective antiseptic. This citrus fruit is rich in citric acid which has lightening properties. It is also rich in vitamin C which helps remove dead skin, improves skin tone and promotes cell regeneration. However, avoid exposure to sunlight after applying this trick because the lemon is photo-sensitizer.
Apply lemon juice on your knees and elbows and massage gently. Let it stand for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water and apply moisturizer.
• You can also mix honey with lemon juice. Apply the mixture on your elbows and knees and let it stand for 20 minutes, rinse with water.
Many women take care of their skin by applying sugar-based scrubs. The latter is an exfoliant that helps cell renewal, stimulates blood microcirculation and brightens the complexion.
• Mix equal amounts of olive oil and sugar to make a thick paste;
• Use the paste on the elbows and knees, rub gently for 5 minutes;
• Apply this trick once or twice a week to notice results.
Sweet Almond Oil
The sweet almond oil is a nutritional product for the skin that prevents inflammations, irritations and improves the flow of the lymphs in order to prevent aging of the skin. Moreover, it is also effective for skin lightening.
• Massage the areas or dark skin with warm sweet almond oil for 5 minutes every night before bed. You will notice the difference after 2 or 3 weeks.
• Mix 2 tablespoons of almond powder with a small amount of plain yogurt to create a thick paste that you can apply on your elbows and knees. Let it stand until the paste dries and use your fingers to scrub and remove the dough. Then rinse with cold water. Repeat this procedure every day for two weeks.
Tips for dark skin on the armpits
Cucumber is rich in water, and it is very effective for skin lightening. Moreover, it also contains vitamin E which prevents aging of the skin and protects it against external aggressions.
Cucumber also prevents darkening of the skin, giving radiance to the complexion.
• Mix lemon juice with cucumber juice. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent that removes dead skin, and cucumber will moisturize and relax the skin. Apply this trick only once or twice a week, avoiding sun exposure.
• You can use cucumber slices to rub under your armpits.
• Simply apply cucumber juice on the affected area, you will notice results within a few weeks.
Milk is rich in fatty acids and vitamins that can help you get rid of dark skin on the armpits. It is very effective when mixed with curd and used as a face mask for a radiant skin. Do not hesitate to apply milk in order to moisturize and brighten your skin.
• 2 tablespoons milk
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese
• Mix all the ingredients to create a thick paste;
• Apply the mixture under the armpits;
• Let it stand for 15 minutes;
• Rinse with water.
Chickpea Flour Mask
This mask is a very effective trick to brighten the skin of your armpits. Apply this tip every day for two weeks, then only twice a week.
• 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon of yogurt
• 1 pinch of turmeric
• Mix all ingredients until a thick paste;
• Apply this paste on the affected area;
• Let it stand for one hour;
• Rinse with water.