Spiders, flies, mosquitoes, and other insects in different corners of your house are very annoying. Worse, they are so stubborn that they keep coming back, despite your efforts to dislodge them. Nature has various plants to keep them away permanently of your home, but whose virtues are often unknown. Discover these recipes for natural insect repellents containing peppermint.
The summer season is a time conducive to the development of mosquitoes. Anopheles – Female mosquitoes – fertilizes the bite because they need the protein in the blood to nourish their eggs. They give birth to nearly three thousand mosquitoes in a month (yes, you read it right!).
Here are some natural recipes containing peppermint to protect you from mosquitoes and other insects. This plant has a scent that repels insects.
– 10 drops essential peppermint oil
– 10 drops lavender essential oil
– 10 drops geranium essential oil
– 20 drops citronella essential oil
– 12 oz of witch hazel flower water
– 1 tsp of grapefruit seed extract
– ½ teaspoon glycerin
Put all these ingredients in a spray bottle and shake vigorously to obtain a homogeneous solution.
Various insects repellant
– 25 drops of peppermint essential oil
– 1 tsp water
– 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
Mix all these ingredients into a spray bottle and apply the solution where needed.
While mosquitoes are more discreet and usually occur at night, flies are present at any time of the day and almost everywhere – are more invasive. They particularly appreciate the warm, moist places to lay their eggs and larvae feed on decaying matter. Therefore, they are widespread around infected premises and garbage waste. Adults are rather fond of sugar. The life of the female is twelve days and it can lay up to a thousand eggs in that time frame.
Here are the advices you should practice regularly to keep the flies away from your house:
– After every meal immediately clean the places where you eat
– Avoid accumulating dirty dishes
– Regularly clean your garbage
– Turn off the lights at night because the yellow color emitted by incandescent bulbs attracts them
– Always dry the places where moisture stagnates
– Above all, never leave the fruits to rot
Put a few drops of a peppermint essential oil inside a diffuser as a more effective solution.
References: naturaloilsnherbs.com, naturallivingideas.com, info.achs.edu