Even the least concerned women about their health know that most nail polishes on the market have harmful consequences on the body. It seems that these are even worse than you might think!
Really, a recent study has detected presence of chemical toxins in the body of the 24 participating women, toxins coming from the nail polish. They found 100% presence of triphenyl phosphate (tphp) 10 hours after the application of a nail polish.
Triphenyl phosphate is known to disrupt the endocrine system, which controls our hormones. The director of this research, Dr. Heather M. Stapleton, said: “There is growing evidence to suggest that the tphp could affect hormone regulation, metabolism, reproduction and development.” The nail polish is particularly harmful to young girls who regularly use it, since hormonal development is an essential aspect of their growth.
Other harmful chemicals in the nail polish
- Formaldehyde. This is a carcinogen chemical that can dissolve in water and in the air (you know, that strong smell of nail polish?). Exposure to this chemical can also produce symptoms such as sore throat, asthma or difficulty breathing. People with chronic illnesses are particularly likely to be poisoned by formaldehyde.
- Toluene. This chemical is known to hinder the development of children. Moreover, it can be irritating to the skin.
- The dibutyl phthalate. In some nail polishes, tphp is replaced by dibutyl phthalate, but it is not better for the health. In fact, it exposes our health to similar risks, like hormone and reproductive system disruption.
What are the alternatives?
Fortunately, some companies have decided to respond to the discovery of these hazardous components in the nail polish. Thus, there are natural alternatives that do not present the same risks of allergies, cancers and hormone disruption. You no longer have to choose between your look and your health!
- Honeybee Gardens offers a line of natural nail polish available with large variety of colors. They are made from wood pulp, cotton, corn and potato with a formula to 85% of natural origin. This nail polish line does not contain toluene, formaldehyde.
- Scotch Naturals offers a selection of over 30 intense shades of nail polish. They are all made water-based and contain no parabens or perfume. These paints are hypoallergenic and biodegradable.
- SpaRitual is a nail polish brand without toluene, formaldehyde and paraben free.
- Peacekeeper Cause-Metics offers nail varnish without phthalates, formaldehyde, paraben and xylene, all dangerous chemicals for health.
- Acquarella is a brand of water-based nail varnish which does not contain chemical solvents nor formaldehyde or phthalates.