Stroke occurs due to problems with the blood supply to the brain; either the blood supply is blocked or a blood vessel within the brain ruptures. There are three main kinds of stroke: ischemic – due to lack of blood flow, hemorrhagic – due to bleeding and a transient ischemic attack (TIA) – or a mini-stroke – is a temporary clot.
These were the scientific explanations which refer to both genders. However, there is unknown fact thatwomen have a higher risk than men when it comes to stroke, as reported by the National Stroke Association,” it is the third leading cause of death in women”. The numbers are that every year, 55,000 more women are dying of stroke than men; even though women live healthier lives, they donot drink or smoke as much as men, still they are more affected than the male gender.
Generally, when mini-stroke occurs, it isn’t paid as much as attention as necessary. It may clear by its self, but you should not ignore it, as in the future it may bring more health consequences. Therefore, when it occurs, ask for an emergency medical assistance.
If the stroke is with higher intensity it may lead to devastating consequences, such as, behavioral changes, paralysis,impaired speech, memory loss and inability to solve problems.
These consequences vary on the severity of stroke, in which part of brain occurs, and how long it takes until proper treatment is executed.
Let’s specify all this:
I If it occurs on the left part of the brain, it may cause impaired speech and language,memory issues, also slow and cautious behavior.
II If it occurs on the right side of the brain, it may lead to memory loss, impaired judgment, and misjudgment of distances.
III If it affects the cerebellum (it is a part of the brain in charge of balance) it may provoke balance problems,dizziness, and abnormal reflexes.
Therefore, please be aware of the warning signs, because usually women discard them; the moment they appear call emergency 911, because quick respond is crucial for your health andthus avoiding the negative consequences.
Stroke death ratio higher on women
Even though, men are less responsible than women when their health is concerned, women suffer more from stroke and in most cases it can end with death. There are many reasons for this beside sex differential; nonetheless, here are the typical risk reasons that affect women:
- Pregnancy, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT),Postmenopausal hormone use, Preeclampsia, Mental Health, Gestational diabetes,Birth control pills
- Depression, Atrial Fibrillation,Hypertension, Psycho-social stress, Diabetes Mellitus, and a Migraine with aura.
However, here are the risks typical for men and women:
- High cholesterol, Diabetes, High blood pressure, Being overweight, Lack of exercise, Cardiovascular disease, and last but not least, Drugs and tobacco.
Furthermore, there are typical risks for both women and men, but the impact is different for both genders, the reason is unknown:
- Smoking, Diet, Metabolic syndrome, Obesity, Age, Physical inactivity, and prior cardiovascular disease.
Stroke symptoms applied for both genders:
- Weakness and dizziness,Headaches without an evident reason, Trouble with vision, Numbness, and Confusion
Stroke symptoms solely applied to women, knowing them it may be life-saving:
- Hallucination, Fainting, Agitation, Nausea or vomiting, Shortness of breath, Behavioral changesHiccups, Seizures, andPain.
The American Heart Association and American Stroke Association developed an acronym FAST to assist you in easily memorizing the warning signs of strokes:
- F – Face Drooping
- A – Arm Weakness
- S – Speech Difficulty
- T – Time to call 911.
Do not forget this acronym as it is crucial for you.
There is always a possibility to avoid harsh consequences of stroke by taking measures to prevent them, like avoiding hazardous smoking and drinking.
Read following stroke prevention methods:
- Exercise at least 20 minutes a day; notice any mood changes, especially depression may raise the stroke risk in women; get a diabetes test; preserve your body weight at a normal level; monitor your headaches, if they become quite severe ask for help; replace the standard cooking oil with an olive onebecause of its health benefits; deal stress; monitor blood pressure during pregnancy; check your cholesterol levels, and get a healthy amount of sleep, at least 7-8 hours.
By having this list, you can easily recognize stroke symptoms and act quickly in seeking medical help by which you will reduce stroke consequences to minimal and prevent long-term damage.
Recovery after Stroke
The recovery after stroke is long and exhausting, as it includesrehabilitation therapy and speech therapy to improve skills, also assistance in daily care like personal hygiene, feeding, and dressing.
You need completely to change your life style if you want quality life after this disease. Consume healthy diet and regularly exercise.
When women are concerned, they should be aware of the warning signs thus securing quality life and prevention against stroke.
When age is concerned, stroke can really occur at any age; however, older age is an important factor for stroke. Therefore, regularly monitor your health, andthanks to this awareness you can prevent sever health issues.
Sources and References:
www.belmarrahealth.com — Original Article Source