A canker sore, or aphthous ulcer, is a mouth ulcer or sore that’s open and painful. They’re the most common type of mouth ulcer. Some people notice them on the inside of their lip or cheek. They’re usually white or yellow and surrounded by red, inflamed soft tissue.
About half of the population get canker sores. Smaller canker sores usually heal within a couple of weeks and do not leave scars.
For most people, they are just annoying. But some people get larger canker sores (almost one-half inch across or larger).
These take longer to heal. They can be painful, and may leave scars. These sores may be so uncomfortable that it is sometimes hard to eat or speak.
You may feel a burning or tingling on your inner cheek, lip or tongue before a sore starts. Each sore takes two to three days to form. The sores are round and shallow.
Using salt you can easily solve this problem, just add a teaspoon of salt in a glass of water, swish the salt water around the mouth for a couple of minutes, and spit it out, repeat the procedure several times throw the day.
We will also suggest several other effective natural remedies for canker sores:
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a white crystalline compound that can be used for treating many health and beauty problems, including canker sores. It acts as an antacid, alkalizing agent, cavities washer and exfoliator.
- Baking soda neutralizes the acid or acidity in mouth and soothes the pain caused by cancer sore.
- It balances the pH levels of the mouth and body.
- It effectively lessens the ability of bacteria to get into the salivary glands.
- It has anti – inflammatory property that helps to reduce the swelling and inflammation.
- It has anti – bacterial and anti – fungal, anti-septic properties that helps to kill the bacteria, shield ulcers from infection, freshen the breath and keeps all infection away from the mouth.
- The baking soda paste acts as a protective layer.
You should form a paste with a teaspoon of baking soda and some water and then apply it, wait for a few minutes and rinse it with warm water. Repeat three or four times through the day.
Aloe vera is an effective natural remedy for canker sores. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and curative properties that help ease the pain and inflammation as well as speed up the healing process.
- Extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera leaf and apply it directly on the canker sore. Do this several times a day.
- Alternatively, you can rinse your mouth with fresh aloe vera juice about three or four times a day.
- You can also take at least two tablespoons of aloe vera gel three times a day for quick results.
Just extract the gel from a fresh aloe Vera leaf and apply it directly on the canker sore 3-4 times a day.
Honey also has strong antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
After each meal, wet a sterile cotton ball and wipe the sore clean. Then, apply a small amount of honey using a cotton swab
Sage kills bacteria and viruses, and contains compounds that reduce inflammation. Steep 2 teaspoons of dried sage in a cup of boiling water, covered. Let cool and use as a mouth rinse 2 or 3 times a day; for an effective cure, make sure to swish the tea in the area of your mouth with the canker sore.
Coriander has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antifungal properties. It helps to reduce redness, pain, and swelling. Drink fresh coriander leaf juice and follow the process below.
- Boil 1 cup of water.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds or few fresh coriander leaves.
- Reduce heat and let simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let steep 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and use it as a mouth wash 3 times daily.