Nowadays, thyroid health issue, rises more than previously, that is why it is important to find out which nutrients may help in treating this health issue.
Thyroid hormones control many essential activities in our body, such as, menstrual cycles, respiration, cholesterol levels, and body temperature, metabolism of fat and carbohydrates, and brain development.
The function of thyroid gland is responsible for two conditions Hyperthyroidism and Hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland produces more hormones than the body needs. Common symptoms are weight loss, high blood pressure, diarrhea, and palpitations.
Opposite to hyperthyroidism is hypothyroidism, which is a condition where the gland does not produce enough hormones. Common symptoms are: weight gain, fatigue, dry skin, and difficulty concentrating.
Here below is a recipe that will assist you in improving your thyroid function.
- 1 cup of cranberry juice
- 7 cups of filtered water
- 3/4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon of Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
How to prepare it:
First heat the water and then add the cranberry juice along with the spices (Ceylon cinnamon, dry ginger and nutmeg). Let it simmer for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes have passed, remove it from the heat, and let it cool down. Then, include the orange and the lemon juice. Consume this beverage, daily.
The benefits of the ingredients
- Blueberries contain iodine which has a crucial role in thyroid hormones production.
- Orange juice and lemon have vitamin C,responsible for the high level ofantioxidants, necessary for securing thyroid gland health.
- Cinnamon can decrease inflammation, thus lowering the risk of hypothyroidism.
- Ginger is rich with magnesium which is excellent in controlling thyroid gland.
Vitamin B12, D, and selenium are important in maintaining thyroid gland health. Therefore, make sure that you take enough of them.
Other useful information:
- Doctor’s visitations are necessary as these symptoms may apply to other diseases.
- When you buy cooking pans, make sure that they are not non-stick ones as the chemical used in them may cause thyroid disorder.
- Consuming iodine is crucial for your thyroid that is why you should consume fish and shellfish four times per week. Likewise, you can include in your diet seaweed and ionized salt.
As well as be aware of the fact that cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower are “boclogenos” – which means that they have chemical compounds that decrease thyroid activity.