Diabetes, especially Type 2 diabetes has become a modern disease, as it is not genetic, but it appears as a result of unhealthy diet and not enough workingout, thus maintaining a healthy weight is essential. Type 2 diabetes occurs unexpectedly and commonly affects people in middle age and above.
Therefore, in order to avoid this terrible disease you have to have a healthy weight and properly maintain it. The change if diet is crucial, your body has to start to receive healthy products, lots of fiber, and lean protein. Carbohydrates and sugar must be eliminated.
In this article we will give you several useful tips regarding diabetes which will be of great value for you and your health. Here they are:
- Get rid of carbs – Gradually, you should start not consuming carbohydrates as they have negative effect on your blood sugar levels. You can continue to consume them, but have to be sure that they are the healthy ones. For instance, you should definitely avoid refined carbs meaning white bread, pasta, rice, doughnuts, junk food, cookies, cakes, sweets, biscuits, and big ”no” to prepackaged food or take away.
- Introduce in your diet high fiber foods, such as, leafy greens, bran flakes, oatmeal or muesli, brown or wild rice, cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes, whole wheat bread, low GI bread, and rye.
- The glycemic index (GI) – High glycemic index (GI) foods can quickly cause high blood sugar, therefore use low foods as they do not affect the blood sugar level. Although, this has been known fact for a long period of time, there are still debates going on regarding this low or high GI issue. However, if you eat foods that are void of sugar and carbs, it means that you take in healthy foods. Here are some advices that you might find them useful:
- First of all, eat healthy fats such as: olive oil, flax seeds, fish oil, avocado, and raw nuts.
- Eat whole dairy products, milk and yoghurt.
- Fresh raw fruits and vegetables, do not replace them with fruit juices as they aresweetened.
- Lean meat, chicken, turkey, fish and shellfish.
- Unsweetened yoghurt, milk, cheese, eggs, and beans.
Likewise, avoid baked goods, sweets, chips, any fried foods, package foods, partially hydrogenated foods, and puddings. Furthermore, no sugary cereals, refined bread, pastas, processed meat and red meat fed with antibiotics.
- Moderate your sugar – If you suffer from great sugar yearning, you don’t have to exclude it totally. You can moderate your sugar intake. There are sweet foods that can satiate your sweet hunger. For instance,almond butteris a good replacement for sugar, also bananas are great substitute. Try this recipe: use melted dark chocolate, dip a banana in it and your sweet carving will be satisfied. Also, yoghurt, nuts and ricotta cheese will do as sugar replacement. However, on the market are sugary products that are specially made for diabetics which can be safely consumed, but always thoroughly read the labels.
- Consumption of alcohol– By consuming alcohol you can also gain excess weight. Especially from drinks that are mixed, like cocktails, they are packed with sugar. Most of the sodas, which are usually combined with alcoholic drinks, contain lots of sugar and calories, even tonic water. That is why when drinking alcohol always check the labels how much sugar or calories are in them. Drink moderately, as you know alcohol combined with diabetes medicine and insulin can considerably lower the effect. If you choose to drink always monitor your blood sugar.
- Stop drinking fizzy drink – needless to say, abnormal high level of sugar and calories.
- Pay attention tofood labels – If you are diabetic you must do this, before buying or consuming a product, check the product label and its content. Always select low sugar products, and especially fresh ones. Definitely avoid canned, it is even better to choose frozen ones than the canned ones. Instead of consuming cereal, choose bran or oats.
Apply all these healthy tips in your daily life, and your disease will be controlled, and even bettered. Even if you are not diabetic avoid processed food and sugar because they may cause other health issues. Be aware of the calories you take in, maintain your weight, stay hydrated and drink a lot of water.
If you notice that you have these symptoms: irritability, chronic fatigue, constant thirst– immediately make an appointment with your physician. These are common diabetes symptoms;however you need a proper doctor’s diagnosis and then start treating it. Diabetes is a perilous disease that can kill you. Therefore, pay attention to all these advices, and take your own body control.