There are many natural remedies for earache, but this one is the best and many times proven. It has been passed from one generation to another, and it is highly effective. Sometimes you don’t have to go directly to a physician, just apply old granny remedy and you will be healed in no time.
Moreover, when a child suffers from an earache, it is really frustrating for both the parent and the child. This ache is really intense and not easily soothed. The frustrating fact is even if you run straight to your physician; there is really nothing to do only to prescribe antibiotics. However, there is a natural remedy and this earache can be treated from your home effectively.
Worldwide use of salt in a sock
Dr. Lillian Beard, an author of the book, “Salt in Your Sock and Other Tried-And-True Home Remedies,” says that, quoting “by applying a sock packed with coarse sea salt to a painful ear can draw the fluid out of the ear, thus relieving pain until you visit doctor’s office.”
In July 2003, she was having an interview on CBC network, where she informed the reports that homemade remedies are same all over the world. This information she got while she was travelling all around the world to gather information about her book. All the patients she met told her their homemade remedies, which amazingly enough, were same for almost every part of the world.
Likewise, another well-known family chiropractor and natural health advocate in Patchogue, NY, Dr. Dana Clum recommends this same remedy to her patients. She has added some suggestions when earache occurs to this natural remedy. According to her the best things for ear infection are regular adjustments, then permitting the fever to kill the infection and after that using a salt rock to help the body recover. Here below are her suggestions:
- Get adjusted— misalignments in the upper cervical area (the upper neck) can cause chronic ear infections in children.
- Do not lower the fever–this is crucial as in this way the body will kill the bacteria. Do not make the common mistake and lower it as you will block body’s natural defense reaction thus prolonging the infection.
- Use a “Salt Sock”– for pain relief to give the body time to recover.
“Salt Sock” Use
What does “Salt Sock” means, it really is a sock filled with salt, but not any salt, it has to be Coarse Sea Salt, claim generations of mothers and grandmothers.
Instead of Coarse Sea Salt, you may use Himalayan salt as it also has numerous health benefits, however is more expensive than the Coarse Sea Salt.
The next thing you need is a sock, but not any sock; it must be 100 percent cotton without any percentage of synthetic chemicals. Likewise, coloured socks are not an option, becausecoloured thread can consist of flammable materials that when heated up,may burst into fire.
Here are all the necessary items:
- 1– 1 ½ cups of Coarse Sea Salt or Himalayan
- 1 pinch of dried lavender
- 1 completely white cotton sock
- Put the salt and lavender into the sock and tie a knot at the end, even better a double one. Thesize of the salt sock should look like a size of the hand.
- Heat the sock in a clean pan, do not over heat it as you may burn yourself, so low heat to medium for just about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Then pick up the sock and start shaking thus turning it every minute, so that it heats up thoroughly.
- Put the sock onto your child’s ear like a pillow. The salt sock has to cover the whole ear area and as well as the area behind the jaw. Needless to say is this also applies for grown-ups.
- Now relax and let the warmth from the salt do its work thus draining the ear fluid.
- You don’t have to throw away the salt sock, it is reusable, but have in mind that it can change its colour after certain period of time. Naturally, replace it with a new one when it becomes dirty and shabby.
This effect that the salt has was known for a long time; even our grannies knew it, which is a result of its antiseptic and diuretic properties. The warm salt assists in draining the moisture from the ear and because of its antibacterial properties the bacteria is gone.
The other ingredient, the lavender, known for its flower scent, does the relaxing process of this treatment thus relieving your child from any pain. Likewise, the salt will maintain the heat for a longer period of time continuously draining the fluid, and minimizing the ear pressure and the pain.