Although some of you like how well fabric softeners smell, and how nicely softens your clothes, they are full with dangerous toxins that can easily enter our body from our clothes through the skin and by aspiratingthem triggering numerous health problems, specifically when young children are concerned.
Here below are the perilous ingredients usually found in liquid or sheet fabric softeners:
- A-Terpineol – provokes disorders of the Central Nervous System (CNS), brain and spineissues, such as, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, ADD, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, seizures, strokes,and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. First symptoms of CNS disorders are:
- Memory loss, dizziness, neck pain, aphasia, spinal pain, blurred vision, headaches, disorientation, numbness in face, and hunger. Likewise, it provokes membranes irritations, and if inhaled into the lungs, results in respiratory depression,pneumonia or fatal edema.
- Benzyl Alcohol – irritates the upper respiratory tract and triggers central nervous system (CNS) disorders, dizziness, vomiting, major blood pressure reduction,headache, and nausea.
- Benzyl Acetate – refers to pancreatic cancer, and its vapors can irritate the eyes and respiratory passages. Likewise, it is absorbed through our skin.
- Chloroform – was used as an anesthesia in the 1800s, and in the early 1900s. Yet, it was even then discovered that this substance can provoke fatal cardiac arrhythmia. This substance is as well as in the EPA’sHazardous Waste list known as carcinogenic neurotoxin. If it is inhaled, it provokes loss of consciousness,nausea, headaches, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and it may have negative impact on heart, kidney, and liver disorders. Even more, its harmful effects are becoming stronger when exposed to heat.
- Camphor – and this substance is found in the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. This one provokes throat, eyes, and nose irritations, due to the fact that is easily absorbed through the body tissue. This will lead to convulsions, nausea, confusion, dizziness, and twitching muscles.
- Ethyl Acetate – is a dangerous ingredient which is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list. It provokes respiratory tract irritations, and as well as eyes irritation; it causes kidney and liver damage, and painful headaches and loss of consciousness.
- Ethanol – is also included on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and causes CNS disorders.
- Linalool– This one can even cause death when lab animals were subjected to it. Likewise, provokes CNS disorders and respiratory problems.
- Limonene–This substance is a well-known carcinogen which causes skin and eyes irritations.
- Phthalates – Softeners are always advertised for their prolonged scent, but this substance triggers reproductive system issues and breast cancer.
- Pentane -When this chemical is inhaled, it causes serious adverse effects.
Furthermore, vegans should be aware of one not well-known fact, and that is that lot of fabric softener sheets are made by using tallow, known to be a form of animal fat.
However, manufacturers of the fabric softeners are familiar with the fact that their products contain toxic substances, and some of them include printed warnings on the packages saying that these products should be kept away from children’s pajamas; some have put pictures of children, toys, or added on the bottles small printed messages.
Nonetheless, there is always a natural solution and we strongly recommend you to quit on commercial fabric softeners, and make your own fabric softener at home. Only then you will be sure that you do not expose yourself and your children to these dangerous chemicals.
Here below is the recipe containing vinegar, which is cheap and nontoxic, without soap residue, and the static reduction. This recipe contains small amounts of sodium and potassium, so that hard water is softened, and is mixed with water.
Natural Fabric Softener Made at Home
- 1 gallon of white vinegar
- 30 drops of essential oil
Mix the ingredients into an appropriate container, and place it in your bathroom cupboards and use it whenever you need it.
How to use it:
First you should dissolve it with water, and then use it on your laundry. The solution ratio should be 1/4 cup of vinegar mixture with 3/4 cups of water, then pour the solution into the washing machine whilethe final rinse cycle is running and wait for the amazing results.
After this recipe you will never use a fabric softener!