When you are on a diet, or just simply taking care of your body every nutritionist’s advice is to stay away from anything that contains excess of oil. However, there is always an exemption to a rule, and in this case is oily fish. This oily food you should not avoid it, and can do only good to your body. For instance, Eskimos are known for their good health and they are a nation with the lowest number of heart attacks and strokes due to their consumption of oily fish.
Oily fish appearance is darker-colored flesh and stronger flavors, and the flesh is really oily contrary to white fish which is dry as the oil is concentrated in the liver. Include oily fish into your diet as there are many available choices like: trout, salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel and herring.
Why Oily Fish is so oily?
As mentioned before oily fish has oil in the flesh which is highly beneficialhealth wise known as omega-3 fatty acids.However, “fatty” does not mean real fat it is just a name. The omega-3 fatty acids are extremely healthy. They are associated to many health benefits, such as: memory enhancement, prevention of certain cancer types, and lowering the risk of heart disease.
Health Benefits of Oily Fish Consumption
Due to omega-3 fatty acids, and their regular consumption through oily fish your health will be boosted and preserved for a long period of time. Herebelow are the most prominent health benefits of consuming oily fish:
- Prevention of cardiovascular issues – This is one the mostpopular health benefits of consuming oily fish as it lowers the risk of cardiovascular problems. Omega-3 fatty acids protect the heart from the negative side effects of the chronic stress so much present nowadays. Likewise,many studies have proven that omega-3 fatty acids prevent the arteries from being clogged as well as the blood pressure from soaring.
- Prevention of birth defects – If you are expecting a child in near future you should consumeproper amounts of oily fish and others that contain omega-3 fatty acids thus keeping you away from any birth problems. Omega-3 fatty acids are very much advised by doctors as its consumption is vital for the growing fetus’ proper brain and nerve development.
- Lowered dementia risk –Dementia is a mental disease causing not proper mental function. Alcoholics are at high risk of this decline. Numerous studies have proven that, omega-3 fatty acids lowered death rate of alcohol-exposed brain cells by 95 percent.However, further researches have to be performed to prove if omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish are as beneficial as for the elderly in keeping dementia at bay.
- Lowered risk of certain types of cancer – Well-knownexperts state that omega-3 fatty acids have the capability to inhibit growth of malignant cells, and at the same time doing no harm to normal and healthy cells. Oily fish is highly recommended if you suffer from these types of cancer, such as: prostate, skin and oral cavity cancer.
- Reduced risk of rheumatoid arthritis – Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is highly beneficial for the joins as they preserve the cartilage in between bones from being damaged. Likewise, these healthy fats fight against inflammation. As a result of all these reasons oily fish consumption is good for preventing rheumatoid arthritis. So, if you suffer from rheumatoid arthritis introduce oily fish in your diet, and consume it regularly.
- Maintenance of sharp vision – Many performed studies showed that elderly people who consumed oily fish where at lower risk of vision lossoccurrence. Therefore, if you noticing that you are slowly losing your sharp vision, introduce oily fish servings in your meals on a regular basis.
The question is how much oily fish should we consume?
Certified professionals state that we should stick only to 4 portions of oily fish per week. On the other hand, pregnant women should lower their portions to 2 portions per week.The Food Standards Agency say that oily fish contain dioxins and polychlorinated biphenyls or PCBs, both of which can have negative impact on the immune and reproductive systems if consumed in large amounts. Therefore, stick only to the recommended number of portions per week, and gain all the benefits that oily fish can offer.