Listerine mouthwash now comes in a variety of flavors, mostly variations of mint but also citrus flavor, and formulations include ingredients for tartar control and tooth whitening.
Listerine spray, a little spray bottle that can be carried in the pocket, appeared on the market in about 2005. Testing of the product has supported the claim that Listerine mouthwash effectively kills oral bacteria, reduces buildup of plaque, and helps prevent gingivitis. There’s no question that Listerine is one of the top products in its class for treating bad breath.
Here are few surprising uses of Listerine mouthwash you’ve never heard of.
1. Cures Toenail Fungus And Athlete’s Foot
It has many disinfecting agents in it, which is why it works so well.
- Thymol is an effective fungicide that is also used to treat fungal skin infections.
- Eucalyptol is an essential oil made of 90% eucalyptus oil, which has antimicrobial properties, reducing inflammation and pain.
- Salicylate is an organic acid that sheds dead skin cells, allowing the healthy cells to form. It is also a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory with analgesic properties.
Many people have achieved great results with a Listerine foot soak.
- For severe athletes’ foot, mix equal amounts of Listerine and white vinegar. Soak your foot in the solution for thirty minutes before washing it off. Repeat 2 or 3 times a week.
2. Treats Jock Itch
Thanks for reminding us that the herbal extracts and alcohol in original formula Listerine have antifungal activity. That may explain why readers of this column report that it helps fight dandruff, nail fungus, athlete’s foot and seborrheic dermatitis. Other remedies that have won readers’ praise for treating jock itch include vinegar, dandruff shampoo (selenium sulfide) and the cleanser Cetaphil.
3. Whitens Yellow Nails
Another effective cure for yellow nails caused by fungal infections is Listerine. Thanks to the active ingredients such as methyl salicylate, eucalyptol, and thymol, Listerine is high in antifungal properties.
You could soak your affected fingernails in 100% Listerine for 30 minutes. Apply this everyday for 1 week. Then, take a break for 1 week before repeating the following week. Despite your skin around your nails might turn green yet it will go away on its own in just several days.
As an alternative, you could mix equal amounts of the vinegar and Listerine together. Then, soak your infected nails into that solution for 30 minutes. Repeat this every day for 1 week till you get good results.
4. Reduces Dandruff
Listerine® contains menthol, thymol, eucalyptol and methyl salicylate. These ingredients have antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, both of which are good for keeping the scalp in great condition. Methyl salicylate also has an anti-inflammatory, cooling action wherever it’s applied – perfect for soothing an itchy scalp.
Mix 1/2 cup of Listerine with 1/2 cup of water and apply to towel dried, clean hair, pouring it as close to the scalp as possible. Rub it in with your fingertips, leave it for about 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
5. Kills Head Lice
Listerine lice treatments are cheaper and less toxic than the professional lice remedies you can buy in the store, making them a better choice for many people.
Listerine contains about 27 percent alcohol as well as herbal oils such as oil of thyme, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, and wintergreen oil. The alcohol is poisonous to the lice and the oils suffocate them, making listerine a good home remedy for head lice.
- Wet hair and scalp generouslywith Listerine (be careful to avoid face and ears) then cover hair and scalp with shower cap
- Let listerine lice treatment sit for about two hours(wash out earlier if it causes irritation).
- After time is up, wash listerine out of hair with water.
- Use nit removal comb to remove any leftover lice and lice eggs.
Repeat the treatment once a week as necessary. Make sure to thoroughly scrub and clean anything in your child’s life that may be home to lice: sheets and pillow cases, toys, car seats, hats, etc. Anything that can’t be bleached, sterilized, laundered, or washed should be kept in a tied-off plastic garbage bag for two weeks until the lice have died.
6. Softens Dry, Cracked Heels
When feet are soaked in the Listerine foot soak, feet will become softer as the ingredients penetrate the epidermis of the skin, which is mostly dead tissue. You’ll probably want to use a loofa or a cloth to rub your feet clean after your foot soak, particularly focussing around callouses and hardened heels. You’ll notice that your feet will remain feeling soft and supple for several days afterwards.
Collect together the following ingredients.
- 1/4 cup Listerine
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm water from tap
- 1 plastic tub to soak your feet
Follow these simple steps to gain smooth, soft feet.
- Pour all liquid ingredients into the plastic tub.
- Sit down.
- Place feet in tub and relax.
- Wait for a period of half an hour to one hour.
- Add more warm water if you wish.
- Remove feet and use a loofa to get rid of dead skin.
- Rinse and dry.
7. Clears Acne
Acne is an embarrassing condition that is common during adolescence. Boys are more likely to have acne than girls, but it usually fades away in the late teens. During adolescence your skin produces more oil which results in acne. As one pimple clears up another one appears. When a pimple heals it leaves behind a mark, which usually fades away. For treatment using Listerine, read on.
- Wash your face with warm water and soap, rinse, and then soak a cotton ball with original Listerine mouth wash. Cleanse your face with the cotton ball soaked in the Listerine.
- Next dab the cotton ball soaked in ,Listerine on the pimples. Leave the Listerine on your face for ten minutes or until you can’t feel the tingling sensation anymore.
- Rinse your face with warm water to wash off all the Listerine. Then splash your face with cold water to close your pores again. Be sure to use original Listerine, not cool mint Listerine it, contains sugar!
8. Fights Body Smell
Another way of applying Listerine to reduce bad body smell is to apply in the form of cotton swab. Take a cotton ball and soak it in Listerine mouthwash and dab into your underarms. Doing this twice a day can surely kill bad smell of your body. You can also rinse your body with Listerine mixed bath water while taking shower. Just add some amount of Listerine mouthwash in your bath tub and rinse in the end of shower. This will surely reduce body odor and you will feel fresh for the whole day.
9. Cleans Floors and Toilets
- Toilet Cleaner – Pour 1 cup mouthwash in the toilet bowl and let sit for 30 minutes. Swish with toilet brush and you’ve got a clean and disinfected toilet. *Tried this and it worked for me. Toilet cleaner is one of those items I do run out of and forget to buy so this would totally come in handy for our home.
- Clean Tile– Combine 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of mouthwash in a bucket, then saturate a sponge in the solution and wipe down tiles. The thymol and menthol kill germs while the alcohol helps make dingy surfaces shine.
10. Sanitizes Laundry
Much like Listerine removes bacteria from your mouth, it can eliminate harmful bacteria from your laundry also.
Add a cup of Listerine to a load of laundry to kill germs as well as clean your washing machine (use with your regular detergent).