Majority of dryer sheets are coated with all sorts of toxic chemicals such as, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Acetate, Linalool and Chloroform which naturally are not good for your health. These chemicals are in contact with your skin, and when they are heated, the fumes are as well as toxic. These toxins go directly to the most important human organthe brain, where are the most sensitive neurological centers.
Get Rid of Dryer Sheets as they Consist of Artificial Fragrances
Even though dryer sheets smell nicely do not get fooled by its smell as those smells areartificial chemical perfumes which are transferred onto your clothes. These fragrance chemicals are highly toxicas well as carcinogenic that can cause liver damage and cancer in mammals.
Recently, a conducted study onthe effects of fragrances in laundry products like detergent and dryer sheets, bythe UW professor Dr. Anne Steinemann, revealed that more than 25 VOCs were emitted from dryer vents, with amazingly highest concentrations of acetaldehyde, acetone, and ethanol. Acetaldehyde is one of the carcinogenic VOCs, which had emissions same to 3% of total acetaldehyde emissions from automobiles in the study area. This is an enormousemission of toxic chemicals.
In 1990s, a list was made of chemicals in fabrics softener products by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry-generated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). Here it is:
- Alpha-Terpineol – a chemical associated to brain disorders and nervous system, depression, loss of muscle control, and headaches.
- Benzyl acetate–it is linked to pancreas cancer.
- Benzyl alcohol–it is upper respiratory tract irritant which can trigger headaches, nausea, vomiting, CNS (central nervous system) disorders, rapid-fluctuations in blood pressure, and dizziness.
- Chloroform–Neurotoxic – it is carcinogenic, anesthetic, and extremely toxic to your brain. By inhaling its vapors it may provoke nausea, headaches, vomiting; furthermore loss of consciousness, dizziness, and drowsiness.
- Ethanol– this chemical is comprised in the fabric softener ingredient which is on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and associated to CNS disorders.
- Ethyl Acetate–it is on the EPA Hazardous Waste list which triggers headaches.
- Linalool–according to studies, this chemical is responsible for brain and nervous system disorders, loss of muscle coordination, and depression.
- Pentane–a chemical associated to dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness, depression, headaches,and nausea.
Now, you may ask yourself what is the natural alternative to the toxic dryer sheets. The answer is simple, wool balls since they are 100% natural and highly effective at getting rid of static cling and wrinkles, and as well as function as a clothes softener.
Sources and References: