Prized for their economic and ecological side, energy saving light bulbs are now present in many homes. However, these bulbs can be very harmful. Discover the dangers of saving-energy bulbs on the body.
The dangers of saving-energy bulbs
There are many types of saving energy light bulbs: halogen, LED and compact fluorescent. New generation of bulbs consume 5 times less than traditional bulbs, but are very dangerous to health. Indeed, a study conducted by the professor Fraunhofer Wilhelm of the German Federal Environment Agency reveals that when these bulbs break, they release a concentration 20 times higher mercury into the air. But the list of harmful effects of exposure to these bulbs is longer:
- Inability for concentration
Mercury is a naturally element that can be found in the air, water and soil. In other words, all human beings are exposed to this material, but in small quantities. Furthermore, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), excessive exposure to mercury can cause serious health problems, especially in children. According to scientists, mercury affects the nervous system, digestive system, lungs, kidneys and immune system. Symptoms of excessive exposure to mercury are:
- Memory loss
- Cognitive disorders
In addition, the toxicologist André Picot studied the effects of mercury on the body. He discovered that it is toxic to the nervous, hormonal and immune systems. Over time, particles accumulate in the brain, endocrine glands, and disrupt their operation.
Unlike traditional bulbs, some energy-saving bulbs can emit electromagnetic waves. This is the case of compact fluorescent bulbs, which emit waves that exceed the limit prescribed by the European Commission. According to scientists, these waves can cause sleep disorders by disrupting the production of melatonin (sleep hormone) and cause stress and even cancer.
Energy saving light bulbs such as compact fluorescent bulbs that produces ultraviolet rays have to pass through the fluorescent layer to create light. When these rays pass through the bulb, they can be dangerous to the body, especially for people with sensitive retina. According to WHO, in small doses, UV rays are important for the synthesis of vitamin D. However, excessive exposure can have negative effects on the immune system, eyes and skin.
How to protect from these harmful effects
To prevent any risk, it is advisable to buy compact fluorescent bulbs that have the lowest mercury levels. In case bulb breaks, ventilate the room as much as possible. It is not recommended to use this type of bulb for a desk lamp or bedside lamps.